Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Susanna Moore / Windows on the World

Matteo Pericoli
by Matteo Pericoli


WINDOWS ON THE WORLD
Susanna Moore

This is the Clock Tower building. It was built in 1894 for an insurance company and it is a designated historical landmark. The facade was designed by Stanford White. It is now used by the city for criminal court. There are often fistfights and screaming matches in the alley, leading me to suspect that the court’s decisions, not surprisingly, are not always well received. I once threw a friend’s lit cigar out the window and it landed on a sleeping homeless man who subsequently caught fire, and many fire engines squeezed into the alley to extinguish the flames. He was not hurt, in part, a fireman told me, because his clothes were fire retardant. I was horrified that I had caused even the slightest burn, and we became friends (I give him a winter outfit each year, which I suspect is not inflammable).




No comments:

Post a Comment